sunnuntai 2. toukokuuta 2010

Advertising and gender

We have discussed this topic previously as we talked how people receive different ads, depending on the information they have given on registration. E.g I receive assault backpack ads in my Facebook account whereas women my age might receive diaper ads... It is all about profiling for customers.

Actually I think it is easier to understand gender stereotyping when it comes to advertising since the aim is to sell the product or concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY

This is an republican ad campaigning for Reagan in the 80´s. From this one can clearly see what is regarded "normal" or something worth trying to accomplish. In a way it worked since (it I remember correctly) he won the election.

Comparing to school books or something more appropriate ads, in my opinion, can have more leniency when it comes to using stereotypes. This is because the goal is different. For instance the cell phone ads that we looked at in class were quite different and the one that was clearly aimed for female audiences was propably more efficient than the "business" phone ad that was quite boring...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti